Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

St. Mary's High School Band Honors Msgr. Hummel




November 3, 1939 Oshkosh Northwestern
Monsignor Hummel was the pastor at St. Mary's, from 1914 until 1948.  His long tenure there meant that my Mom was baptized by him, had religion classes with him and was married by him.  She often told me stories about how strict he was. 

Of course, being a little kid, I probably filed it away under the heading of those tales parents would sometimes tell to guilt their kids into something by telling them how "good" they had it- you know those stories that went something like..."in my day, we had to walk five miles to school in a raging blizzard...barefoot..."). 

But of course, I knew that story wasn't true.  I grew up in the same house my mother did and we only lived a block from St. Mary's.   As for the barefoot part, though....

1 comment:

  1. My Mom is in this band picture...she played the flute. What a wonderful memory. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete