Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Broadway Tavern- Circus Display?




March 11, 1961 Oshkosh Northwestern

I found the above article of interest, as I was a frequent patron of the Broadway with my parents for their fish fry in the early '60s.  (My father would always refer to it as going for the "fish lunch," even though we headed over there at 7 or 8:00 at night.)  I don't recall any circus paraphernalia but then I doubt I was ever in the front room with the bar, where I'm sure it had been on display.

We'd always enter through the back door where there were many booths.  Each booth had some sort of buzzer gadget attached to the wall, like a doorbell button to summon the server to take our order.  I thought it a big deal to be the one to push that button, but then, what was I...6 years old?  7?  And, in synch with the local drinking culture and the times, I was allowed a kiddie cocktail, of sorts, which to me was very exotic.  In retrospect, I remember it being quite green, so I'll bet it was Twin City lime soda.  But then it arrived with the added garnish of an olive.  I loved that.  To think...me "drinking" with the parents- how sophisticated. 

Oh, and I'm sure the fish was great, too. 

January 11, 1968 Appleton Post-Crescent

2 comments:

  1. and if you took a fish lunch home, they wrapped it in newspaper to keep it hot. I think the hot ink made it taste better. Ha! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone remember Mondays free soup? I would love that recipe PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete