Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

For Folks "On the Go"

 July 2, 1980, Neenah-Menasha Daily Northwestern

What a difference between 40 years ago in the banking industry.  You'd never see an array of premiums like this anymore to encourage you to deposit your money there.  I'm surprised there isn't a toaster oven in there but I know they were going with the theme of busy travelers who'd benefit from a travel alarm or a set of luggage, so I can forgive that.  I did some digging and learned that a three-month CD in December 1980 earned 18.65%, according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.  Wow!  Today, you'd be lucky to get 1%.  And likely, you'd be investing for five years, not three months.  What a world we used to live in.

1 comment:

  1. I had a 16.88% thirty year loan from TCS & L in 1980 and I was happy to get it. It was lowered soon after.

    ReplyDelete