Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Friday, May 8, 2015

Jensen Bakery

from 1935 Menasha Nicolet

I don't know a lot about the Jensen Bakery in Menasha, but I was taken by the little ad at the back of the 1935 Menasha High yearbook.  In a medium where the ads are largely text-driven "best wishes" or "good luck" along with the business' name and address, anything that deviates from the norm is appreciated.  The art deco lettering and the whimsical bakery man caught my eye.  Other than address listings in the city directories, I've come up short.  The aforementioned city directories list Morris Jensen as a tenant upstairs from the facility, so I'm going out on a limb that he was the owner and proprietor.  Although the ad says the address as 149, later directories list it as 151.  The following Sanborn Map bears this out, showing the bakery's location on Main Street, an area that was later demolished to build the First National Bank in 1964-65
 

No comments:

Post a Comment