Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Monday, July 1, 2013

Tuk-Cher's

 
I've long wondered if the changing of the name outside of Tuchscherer's in the 70's was a clever marketing move by the owners.  It would perhaps fix the nearly a century-long confusion by the public in spelling the name correctly.  Or were they just resigned by the dumbing down of America in general, and figured, if you can't beat them, join them.  
 
I worked at J.C. Penney during my high school and college years.  To this day I still see too many people spelling it as "Penny's" and I see it in print that way too often.  It drives me nuts.  Being a stickler for correct grammar and spelling, I can definitely see the Tuchscherers' point. 
 
Aside from that, this cool building was a prime example of what architects call "art moderne," a late type of the Art Deco design style which emerged during the 1930s. It emphasized curving forms and long horizontal lines. Sharp angles were replaced with simple, aerodynamic curves. Exotic woods and stone were replaced with cement and glass and unnecessary ornamentation was a thing of the past. 
 
Although this building is gone now, a similar type structure in the city which still exists is the old Gear Dairy on 1st Street. 

No comments:

Post a Comment