Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Stooges Protest

 
November 10, 1959 Appleton Post-Crescent
 
Many of the TV sets in America looked like the one featured in the accompanying ad when this protest was about to be set in motion in 1959.  Everything's relative, so it's easy, in retrospect, to think such an action taken almost 55 years ago was innocent and perhaps a bit frivolous, considering how societal norms and threats to young people have changed. 
 
At this juncture, the '60's hadn't even come yet, rife with drug woes and disrespect of authority and civil unrest.  The "Generation Gap" about to occur gave America's parents a lot bigger things to worry about than a clunk on the head. 

2 comments:

  1. I hate to admit this but Mrs. Bauer was my mother and she is talking about me. The story is true and I remember going after my brother with a bat because I saw it on the Three Stooges. I was banned from watching that show along with other shows deemed violent. My mother was ahead of her time on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy you made history and didn't even know it!!!

    ReplyDelete