Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Merge the Two Counties?

November 6, 1966 Appleton Post-Crescent

As if the talk of consolidating Neenah and Menasha over the years wasn't enough, the idea of merging Outagamie and Winnebago Counties into one was touted in this editorial 48 years ago today.  Perhaps it was said in the heat of a debate as the editorial writer says, but the Post-Crescent ran with it and frankly, this is the first time I am aware of such a thought. 

Now granted, I was ten years old when this idea first came to the fore and I was more intrigued at the time with convincing my parents we needed a color TV so I could better enjoy the twice-weekly Batman show!  Reading the Post-Crescent and following local politics wasn't exactly on my radar, or...make that my Bat-Scope.

So now I have yet another idea to put some research into, to see if it went any further than the musings of one of the PC's writers.  The politics and the scheming related to this area never cease to amaze me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment