Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Main Street Revisited


 

Here at the blog, I've been doing this so long that there are countless references to Main Street resident on this site.  Over the years, I've made a conscious effort to not repeat things as best as I can manage, but here and there there's a slip up.  I don't believe I've featured this postcard before, but I could be wrong.  If I have, please accept it in the best light possible.  Yes, we've seen this view before, but not exactly, so to me, it qualifies as a new entry.  

When was this photo taken?  Well, the postcard is postmarked June 1910, which means about a month before, Main Street was paved for the first time because of the Elks convention coming to town that summer.  But this photo predates that event and could have been taken anywhere between 1905 and 1910, as the Hotel Menasha wasn't completed until 1905-ish.  The divided area of the writing side of the card places its printing no earlier than 1907 as that style was indicative of that era as well.  So, anywhere from 1905-1910 is about the best estimate I can garner.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I don't recall the Hotel having an entrance on Main St.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In later years, that entrance was bricked over and the Mill Street entrance became primary. Not sure what year that happened.

    ReplyDelete