Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Statue Wrecked

April 20, 1962, Oshkosh Daily Northwestern
April 19/23, 1962, Oshkosh Daily Northwestern
This poor Indian statue seemingly had been targeted by vandals for years, until it finally disappeared all together in the early 1970's.  Wish I had a nice color photo of it to feature.  If I recall correctly, I think there had been a color postcard of Menasha which featured it.at one time, but if so, I haven't seen one of those for a long, long while.    Subsequent research revealed no further stories on the vandalism nor on the origins of the statue.  I am sure it was a personal project and a source of pride for George Banta, Jr. as he was also the driving force behind the Red Bird statue at High Cliff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment