Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Pleasant Under Glass


This view of the Valley Fair parking lot, as shown here in 1963, speaks volumes about winter weather and northeastern Wisconsin.  With the coming Arctic blast, as promised by the meteorologists on TV, today's residents could forgive this pun and surely go for an environment that's "pleasant under glass."   (And speaking of which, is that reference even relevant anymore?  To my childhood ears, pheasant under glass sounded like the epitome of elegant dining, but I'd bet if you asked a hundred people under the age of 30 today, you'd get at least 99 stares.)

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another pun to this is the Get Smart episode Pheasant Under Glass about Professor Pheasant. And I'm 37! My favorite show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever my grandparents from Oshkosh visited us in Menasha, my grandma insisted on a trip to Valley Fair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the mid to late 1950s this fabulous shopping center, and I think that was a new phrase for us, attracted our parents for its indoor climate controlled mall and especially for the plentiful free parking. For my teenage friends and me it was a mere 3.5 mile bike ride on the Appleton Road. A weekly trip to Trudell's (?) music store to spend 89 cents for a 45 rpm, parent aggravating rock and roll record became a routine outing that included a 15 cent lime soda at the Birchwood restaurant, all tax fee of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bet those sodas were the best! Lime sounds great!

    ReplyDelete