Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Riding the Rails


July 10, 1969, Neenah-Menasha Daily Northwestern
Okay, so this guy was taking a ride through the railroad jungles of Neenah.  But hey, in Menasha there were just as many train switchings and boxcar uncouplings to make this guy representative of all I wanted to do as a little boy.  If my Mom knew how much time I spent watching the activity between Third and Fourth Streets, she would have banned me forever from ever taking another look at a train car.  Yes, in today's environment, I'd never have had that much freedom.  But that's a debate for another day.  In the meantime, I'll just sit quietly and try to conjure up that clickety-clack sound punctuated by an occasional horn from the lead engine.  

1 comment:

  1. Growing up through 60's, I lived on the 800 block 5th St. My grandparents lived on Jackson St in Neenah, which is now a parking lot for Galloway. I would bicycle to my grandparents 2-3 times a week just to go hang out in the rail yard by the rounding house just to watch everything and hope to get a ride on those behemoth monsters.

    ReplyDelete