Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Bikes and Meters

July 20, 1957, Appleton Post-Crescent
Two extremes of modern transportation were featured this summer day in 1957.  Every kid's friend, the bicycle, had a chance to excel in the bike rodeo while harried motorists had to begin to use their pocket change to feed the hungry parking meters downtown.  But as with many innovations, the bike rodeo lasted for many years and then faded from prominence.  Back in the 50's and 60's there were bicycle inspections, license plates and registrations.  That too, faded away.  The parking meters were removed eventually, too.  But I must ask, when was the last time you heard a road referred to as an "arterial?"

1 comment:

  1. I loved those Neenah-Menasha tee shirts like young Mr. Ashley wore at the bike rodeo. My older brothers all had them. All I ever got were the worn out hand-me-downs!

    ReplyDelete