Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Summer Complaint

August 18, 1900, Oshkosh Northwestern
In my research, I found that "summer complaint" could be anything from sunstroke to diarrhea to poison ivy rash.  I believe the vague phrases used in news accounts of the day "protected" us from the use of such distasteful terms as "diarrhea" even though the back pages of those same newspapers contained extensive advertisements for any number of patent medicines to cure piles or to restore men's "vitality."  Make of that what you will.

Also, with the reports of Menasha burning, it brings to mind the Mark Twain quote stating "Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated," when newspapers mistakenly published his obituary.  I'm sure the city fathers had a laugh over that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment