Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Slashed!

July 30, 1964, Appleton Post-Crescent
Aside from the incredibly low prices, here's something you didn't see every day, even back then...advertising those exact low prices.   Nowadays, I can look at an app on my phone to see the gas prices all over my town, but never in a newspaper.  I guess it wasn't enough to drive by and see the posted prices; these guys saw fit to advertise in the local papers.  I remember this gas station over by St. Pat's.  I recall receiving drinking glasses from an elaborate case right outside by the pumps.  Perhaps Consolidated was doing away with such gimmicks by then. 

2 comments:

  1. If I am correct, there is now a Glass Nickel Pizza on that lot. I was a foster child of the guy who ran the station in the early 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were two gas stations on that side of Washington Street. Consolidated was next to St. Pat's, and the one that is now Glass Nickel was a Clark station.

    ReplyDelete