Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Nosebag Lunch


June 5, 1948, Appleton Post-Crescent
For the life of me, I had never heard the term "nosebag lunch" before, but there it was in black and white in the newspaper.  And then again, I had never been a Brownie or a Girl Scout either, though my daughters belonged many years later.  I knew about "putting on the feed bag," but this variation, I had not heard.  Perhaps the term fell out of favor as the years progressed, because I never heard it mentioned then, but a little research taught me that it really was just a special term for a bagged lunch- a sandwich and maybe some fruit that dated back to 1927, when used in conjunction with a story about Girl Scouts. Are you familiar with the term, dear readers? 

1 comment:

  1. My mom use to use the term all the time, she was born in '23

    ReplyDelete