Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Friday, July 6, 2018

Hidde Retirement

Mr. Hidde was a mainstay downtown for many years, 44 to be exact.  His pharmacy was prime real estate, right near the traffic light at Main and Mill Streets, right next to the present Lemon Loves Lime, if memory serves me correctly.  As a boy, I used to ride my Schwinn stingray bike to the Broad Street alley behind the store, walk in the back door and pay the phone bill there, of all things.  Mom told me it was wasteful to mail it in and use what was then, a 6 cent stamp, but I knew the real reason- she just wanted to keep me busy.

1 comment:

  1. The Hiddes lived next door to my best friend John Geske on Riverway and were wonderful people. We used to walk over the bridge to Hiddes where I can still see in my head the freezer that held blue Alaska popsicles. A big fave.

    ReplyDelete