Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Angel Food for a Devilish Holiday?

October 14, 1971, Neenah-Menasha Daily Northwestern

As my "complete, exciting Halloween headquarters," I'm glad the ol' sweet shop sold angel food candy, something I hadn't thought about in decades.  A little bit o' research told me that it is purported to have been invented in Buffalo, NY.  Whether or not that is true is beside the point.  Spongecandy.com, a Buffalo candy maker says these are the other names for their product:

Sponge Toffee (Canada)

Cinder Toffee (Great Britain)

Sea Foam (Oregon, California, Michigan)

Honeycomb (Australia)

Puff Candy (Scotland)

Hokey Pokey (New Zealand)

Fairy Food (Wisconsin, Chicago)

Angel Food (Wisconsin)

Molasses Puffs (St. Louis)

Gingerbread (New Hampshire)

More research divulged many, many recipes for the candy, so I might just have to try my own hand at it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment