Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Friday, April 21, 2023

War!

April 28, 1917, Menasha Record

Menasha was awash in patriotism and enthusiasm for the war effort in 1917.  It was only a little more than three weeks previously on April 4, that the U.S. Senate voted in support of the measure to declare war on Germany. The House concurred two days later.  As Menasha tried to live up the motto they'd adopted- "Always to the front and never fails," the Honorable S. A. Cook, namesake of the armory, wrote an accompanying article urging Menasha to have its boys join I Company which was stationed at the Armory.  I am not sure of the perceived difficulties Menasha was having in "coming to terms" with the Armory or with its boys serving with I Company.  More research is needed.

1 comment:

  1. I see my granpa's name with the newly enlisted soon to be mustard gassed.

    ReplyDelete