Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Thursday, August 18, 2022

Please, Mister, Please?!

August 12, 1987, Twin City News-Record

You just never know.  You just never know if some rising minor leaguer will toe the distance and become a famous major leaguer some day.  Hey, didn't A-Rod come through the Foxes system?  But for every A-Rod there's dozens of guys like this one who never made it to the bigs.  You just never know.  How many games did this young fan attend at Goodland Field, watching this guy who might have become his favorite payer, the one he emulated when he played catch in his back yard with Dad or when he ran around the outfield in the Menasha Rec leagues, imitating his signature moves.  You just never know.  When I was a kid, I worshipped a guy named Bobby Pena who played infield for the Milwaukee Brewers.  He lasted two years there; he was no superstar.  But the sun rose and set on that guy in my world.  Being his fan set me on a path to a lifetime love of baseball.  I was never that good at it, but I loved the game regardless.  We all influence people in little ways and sometimes in a big way.  Life is like that.  You just never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment