Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Monday, August 22, 2022

Goodbye!

August 27, 1987, Neenah-Menasha Daily Northwestern
I remember that house, as it was Dr. Forkin's and he had an office inside.  Of course, it was then located on the island, Naymut Street, I believe.  I'm not sure of the circumstance surrounding moving the house to Tayco and Main and then to demolish it, but the lot must have been in great demand to have moved it off in such a manner.  Or maybe it was a safety issue?  Readers, feel free to chime in if you know the story.

5 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure this house was moved from next to the old fire station, further east on Main Street prior to it being demolished. The previous location was being redeveloped (I believe Knot's Landing, now Parker John's) and there was an effort made to save this house, but nobody stepped up. I think one could've bought it for $1, then move it to their lot and restore it. It sat on moving dollies for about six months at Main and Tayco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bates motel across from Jitters

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up next to Dr Forkin on Naymut St, he was our family Doctor and a great guy, my parents sold the family home in the 80’s and then it burned down old address was 327 Naymut, I was inside the good doctor’s home many times it was an awesome home

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just checked Dr Forkind home is still on Naymut st I do not think he owned 2 homes I maybe wrong

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave, I believe this house was used by Dr. Forkin as his office. I don't know if he owned it or just rented it for that purpose. It was located two doors west of the old police station. I remember sitting in the Cozy Bar across the street, with my dad, and seeing the sign on the house -- DR. G.M. FORKIN M.D. I believe this was your family doctor as I remember your brother, Phil, telling me this is where he went for his football physicals.

    ReplyDelete