Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Monday, April 13, 2020

Fee Schedule

November 22, 1919, Menasha Record
In researching for last week's blog post on the flu pandemic of 1918-1920, I ran across this item, a schedule of new prices for medical services provided by Twin City physicians.  Besides marveling at the price structure, I was gratified to see Dr. Forkin listed, our family doctor when I was a young boy.  He delivered me at St. Elizabeth's in 1956 and if memory serves me, he also delivered my mother in 1920 at home, the same house I grew up in.  I can recall going to Dr. Forkin's home/office on Naymut Street on Doty Island.  Even in the early 1960's it looked like a turn-of-the-century doctor's office, rife with those old brownish apothecary bottles and other accoutrements.  Some people bridge generations and old Doc Forkin was just such a man.

4 comments:

  1. WHOA NELLIE (David) - check the timeline, 1919-1956. Possibly a son of "A.B. Jensen", Fred (not Richard) delivered me at Theda Clark on 30 May 1946 (traditional Memorial Day). How old was Dr. Forkin when he delivered you in 1956?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Forkin would have been 76 or so when he brought me into the world.

      Delete
  2. I am Dr George Forkin’s granddaughter. He was born in 1880. He delivered all 3 of my siblings but not me. His home was amazing and was sold shortly after his death in 1964. Thank you David for sharing your wonderful memories of my sweet grandpa.
    -Mary F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I'm glad you discovered my blog and liked what I wrote. Thanks!

      Delete