Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Friday, April 24, 2020

Another Year Gone By

I try to post this postcard each year on this date as this was the first photo displayed on this site in 2012.  Today is the eighth anniversary of that first post.  Over all that time, we've gone through many changes, but this blog survives, much to my surprise.  If you go back and look at the original post, you'll learn that the blog's intent was just to be a place to showcase those photos that did NOT make it into the book, Menasha, and the blog likely had a shelf life of less than a year before I expected its demise.  But something clicked in me and here we are all this time later. This is the 1946th post.  At one time I thought I'd quit this when I reached 500 posts.  Then it was 1000.  Now I'm approaching 2000 and I'm probably afraid to quit!  

This project was never meant to be a comprehensive treatise on Menasha history, yet I feel it ought to do more than just bring to light the sometimes whimsy or quirkiness of living in Menasha.  Over the past eight years, it has morphed into "history light," or as someone once put it, the USA Today of history blogs vs. the New York Times version.  I can live with that distinction, but I feel like I owe you, the reader, something more than snarky commentary about city merchants' ads from the past.  So, I will strive to dig a little deeper, work a little harder, and try to provide something of lasting value.  I think many of the blog readers enjoy what I do regardless, and if I succeed at anything with this, it may be that I help you recall pleasant memories of growing up in our fair city.  

Thank you for reading, thank you for your questions and contributions, and especially thank you for your support.  Without you, this would be just an online diary.  So, onward and upward!  Monday begins year nine.  

2 comments:

  1. Dave, keep up the outstanding work. I am so glad you are doing this for Menasha. It makes me happy to have been a classmate and friend of yours as well.
    Mike B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike. Your comments mean a lot. And congratulations on your recent successes!

    ReplyDelete