Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

What's in a Name?

February 4, 1968, Appleton Post-Crescent
I chanced upon this article in the editorial page and considered it so much filler.  But then I got to thinking, this applied to Appleton streets but there is much similarity to Menasha's roster of great street names.  I had the pleasure to grow up on the winner- Second Street, albeit quite a vanilla name.  Compared to some of the wonders available on the island- Ahnaip, Naymut, my street name was positively mundane.  Even those closer to my residence-Tayco, Konemac held their individuality.  When I think of the street names we used to have and gave up in the name of industrial progress or cultural change- Osko, Keshaynee, Waubacoon, Penaysee- the R.L. Polk Company could have had a field day with that roster.  They were Indian-based names, but so distinctive.  As the article says, they can be quite the conversation piece.  

No comments:

Post a Comment