Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Cram 'Em In

I apologize for the fuzzy quality of this item.  I saw this gem of a photo in the sponsor pages in the back of the 1960 Menasha High yearbook, The Nicolet.  Can you guess where this telephone booth is?  Do you even remember them?! I am not absolutely sure, but if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say it's the phone booth that used to grace the front of the Hotel Menasha.  Yes, once upon a time, cramming phone booths with students WAS a thing.  

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I would bet money that this was the telephone booth next to the Hotel Menasha. You can see the hotel's stone facade in the background. However, my memory is hazy whether the telephone booth was on Main Street or Mill Street. I think it was on Mill Street. BTW, I know there are varying opinions about the decision to demolish the hotel building and replace it with the One Menasha Center facility. Historical preservation and all that. However, let's face it, the hotel building was a total dump and eyesore. The new building is absolutely beautiful and gives a much-needed facelift to the downtown area.

    ReplyDelete