Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Monday, September 23, 2019

A Pulley Lifer


September 23, 1968, Twin City News-Record
Oh the stories I'll bet this man could tell!    I find it amazing how one's path can cross with people whose history goes back so far. I think of my own grandparents whose histories dated back to the late 19th century.  Now I long to ask the questions I never thought to ask because I was too young then and too focused on the then-popular things for my era.  What could I have learned from them?  They weren't hip, they weren't modern.  Instead, I should have appreciated all that was in front of me and took advantage of all that knowledge and experience just ready for the taking, and the learning.  Such realizations come too late, sadly.

1 comment:

  1. In 1968-69, I served a one-year sentence (otherwise known as the 9th Grade) at Butte des Morts Junior High School, which was just east of what my father always called "The Pulley Works." Neither I nor any of my fellow inmates, (err, students) realized that The Pulley Works was still operating! I wonder when they finally closed this place down? I think Pulley Lane Apartments now occupy the location. BTW, there used to be railroad tracks alongside the north side of Butte des Morts JHS that stopped just east of Tayco Street. Occasionally, the railroad would park boxcars there. My father told me that these tracks once crossed Tayco Street to service The Pulley Works.

    ReplyDelete