Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Wide Selections! Outstanding Values! Friendly Clerks!

March 26, 1952, Appleton Post-Crescent
So I must admit, having been born not until 1956, that some of these businesses had long come and gone by the time I was aware of any of them.  But I am really intrigued by the Porto Aquarium and Pet Supply which boasted the "largest aquarium north of Milwaukee."  That's a big boast for a Menasha store, especially one hemmed in by the library on one side and Tuchscherer's on the other.  Still, I'd have liked to have seen such a place as a young man; it might have even become a regular stop on downtown excursions.  Instead, I had to satisfy myself with trips to the Schulz Bros. dime store and Rudy's Magazine Rack to look at comic books.  Well, come to think of it, maybe that wasn't half bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment