Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Thursday, March 28, 2019

Rudy's Magazine Rack

September 17, 1951, Appleton Post-Crescent
Recent inquiries in the "You know you are from Menasha if you remember...." Facebook group about Rudy's prompts me to add these items to the blog.  

September 15, 1971, Twin City News-Record
Almost twenty years to the day, these two mentions in local newspapers about my mecca for comic books while growing up.  And yes, the magazines DID cover the wall, especially the comic books in the back.
November 12, 1959, Appleton Post-Crescent
The above is the only photo of Rudy's I've ever found, and even then, I am not sure if this is it in the background, between the furniture store and bowling alley.  I want to believe it is.

3 comments:

  1. My husband, Steve Reinke, Rudy's son says this is likely a correct depiction of his dad's shop. Thank you for taking the time to do this! --Joan Reinke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,that is definitely Rudy's Magazine Rack in the picture. I remember when your brother Phil and I used to make our weekly Friday night pilgrimage there your dad would always say, "Oh,you're heading off to Johnny's." Before Rudy's,it was called Johnny's Magazine Rack owned by John G. Walter. That must be how he remembered it. Larry C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, you're so right. Hadn't thought about my Dad referring to it as Johnny's, for years. But he did, all the time. I think what I miss most from the newsstands is that smell that would come over you when you'd just walk in...that concentrated smell of all that ink and glue...and whatever else it was. I always associate that smell with the comics. What a time to grow up! Thanks for checking in, Larry. Hope you're well.

      Delete