Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

The House of Good Tastes

January 31, 1967, Twin City News-Record
We first featured this establishment almost three years ago:  https://menashabook.blogspot.com/2016/04/4th-and-racine.html in a different incarnation.  In that post, hovering around the 1960 time frame, it was known as Dave's Penguin Palace.  I think I had my first "fast food" hamburger from this place as a kid and I remember it pretty distinctly for some reason, as it was a summer night and my parents sent my brother to get a bag of burgers and fries.  It was the first time I can remember not having to sit at the kitchen or dining room table to eat.  We just sat on the sun porch and ate.  I know you're supposed to remember where you were when the important stuff happened- sitting in the first grade classroom when President Kennedy was shot, or watching TV on that same sun porch six years later when man first walked on the moon.  So I guess this was important to me.  Funny how the mind works.  Some old songs from the sixties conjure up memories, too, but this ad did the trick.

4 comments:

  1. Good old Dave's! The alternative to the St. Mary's Cafeteria for lunch. Double burger double cheese with a "pinappalee" shake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place it was. Constant activity.

    Wouldn't it be great if David Galassie bought the building and reopened it as Dave's Burger Shanty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 1st job as one of Dave’s burger boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Dave's. Big treat to go get burgers there. Dave was such a nice man too

    ReplyDelete