Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Blue Coal

February 7, 1939, Menasha Record
Here are some ads to help drive away the thoughts of the wintry wind chill this season. Long underwear, I understand, but I got a education over the coal ad.  I was taken by the phrase "blue coal," and learned it was a trademarked brand of anthracite coal which was actually dyed blue by the manufacturer.  Anthracite was the "Cadillac" of coal and cost two to three times the price of regular or bituminous coal.  It is harder and doesn't stain the hands when rubbed.  That fact alone tells me that we weren't using this fancy coal when we still had the coal burning furnace growing up in my house!  That stuff was so dirty and nasty. 

1 comment:

  1. Right, blue coal is better and more expensive than bituminous coal. It's a pity that blue coal isn't used in houses.

    ReplyDelete