Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Monday, December 17, 2018

Double Features, Twenty-Five Cents

October 29, 1969, Neenah-Menasha Daily Northwestern
All I knew about the Great Depression was what my parents told me and what I'd read in history books.  That is why I love article series such as these that help put things in perspective for the every man, at least through the eyes of an editor gleaning information from back copies of the Northwestern.  Comparing what that night of entertainment at the Brin would buy grocery-wise for example, is fascinating, in that, as with anything, there are always trade-offs.  As the writer concludes, there was a lot more to life than the constant worry about market crashes and soup lines.  As we've seen, the Twin Cities were more than fortunate in their economic situation compared to other parts of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment