Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Friday, September 7, 2018

Back to School Blues

September 29, 1943, Menasha Record
In the throes of World War II and despite the tense times, there was still occasion for a humorous back to school ad by the Bank of Menasha.  Looking like any stereotypical kid from 1940's movies, I can only imagine he's wearing knickers below that desk.  And the Brin, as many theaters of the time practiced, had the perfect way to bring in patrons to the show...the chance to get free dinnerware.  As a kid in the sixties, I can still recall filling up for gas and getting drinking glasses at the old Consolidated station on Washington Street behind St. Patrick's.  I imagine the giveaways in the forties were that much better.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard reference to the Consolidated Gas Station for many years !!! Or the Clark Station across the tracks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a kid in the 60s, I preferred to do my business at Deep Rock or Sinclair.

    ReplyDelete