Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Friday, June 8, 2018

First Graduation (Updated)

June 13, 1928, Appleton Post-Crescent
For those of us who think St. Mary's has been around forever, guess again.  This year's graduating class is only the 90th, to date.  The first was in 1928 as evidenced above.  And, it's only fitting that I should post this on the 43rd anniversary of my own graduation from that esteemed institution.
 
UPDATE (June 9, 2018)
 
I offer my thanks to two vigilant and faithful readers of this blog- Robert Quella and Larry Ciske- for pointing out my error that this was NOT the first St. Mary's High graduation.  That would occur the following year, in 1929 with 14 graduates.  Please see the article below. 
June 11, 1929, Oshkosh Daily Northwestern
Apparently, the original article from 1928 details an eighth grade graduation.  But this is still the 90th graduation since 1929 (I miscounted).  I regret the confusion and misinformation that resulted from this error, but again, my thanks to Robert and Larry for setting me straight on this matter. 

3 comments:

  1. Dave,
    Glad to help out but I must say in all the years that I've read your blog, you need little to no help in your work. However, I must say that you were correct in your first post that 2018 is the 90th graduating class from St. Mary. Think of this like birthdays. If you were born in 1929,your first birthday would be in 1930 and your 89th would be 2018. We don't celebrate our birthday in the year of our birth but their was a graduation in 1929,so, we must add one year.

    Take care,
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry,
    Thanks again. That counting thing always crosses me up when trying to account for anniversaries, etc. Glad to be set straight.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I passed the original article to the daughter of one of the graduates - we figured that at least part of the article was talking about her dad's graduation from the eighth grade..

    ReplyDelete