Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

American History Dress Up

July 6, 1968, Neenah-Menasha Daily Northwestern
What can you say about these young faces?  In the summer of discontent that was 1968, these kids don't have a care in the world, their wide-eyed innocence evident to the camera lens.  Meanwhile, the nightly news on their TV screens brings the darkest aspects of that fateful summer to America's living rooms.  I was going on 12 that year.  And while I was aware of what was happening- the assassinations, the war protests, violence in the streets, riots- that stuff was a million miles away in my mind for this kid growing up in Menasha.  I had my comic books and my Stingray bike and I was content.  In many ways, I was just an older version of these kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment