Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Friday, January 20, 2017

New Brin

January 18, 1929, Appleton Post-Crescent
I came across this and wondered why it was called the New Brin Threatre (sic) when it dawned on me that it hadn't been open that long, as of the date of this ad.  So I went back and found the following account of its opening on Christmas Day, 1928:

December 26, 1928, Appleton Post-Crescent
In my naivete, I never would have thought that this theater's opening on Christmas Day all those years ago would bring out so many curious patrons on this, the most sacred of the holidays.  In thinking of the past, I tend to view it as a more conservative time, when stores and businesses were traditionally closed on Sundays and holidays.  But it WAS the Roaring 20's after all, and the old adage of "give the public what they want and they'll show up for it" applies here, I suppose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment