Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Monday, November 23, 2015

Valley Mourns

November 23, 1963, Appleton Post-Crescent
 
I believe everyone of a certain age remembers where they were and what they were doing when this tragic event occurred.  I was in Sister Marietta's first grade at St. Mary's when the announcement came over the loud speaker in the classroom.  I recall we were encouraged to say a group prayer.  Later, when it was confirmed that he was, indeed, gone, we were dismissed from school. My big brother from the high school came and walked me home.  The rest of the weekend was a big blur, though I recall the somber funeral on television.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for such a poignant reminder of November 23, 1963. Besides the article, your comments reflect the impact on children. I was in college and walking between classes; and another student told me about this tragic event. Your comments brought home the seriousness of the event. and how it impacted our country.
    TK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember, though I was not quite 4. I heard it on the radio as my dad was driving to his buddy's house on Lake Winnebago. I think I was so affected because those two were. One of my earliest memories, that and the burning of the Wooden Ware.

    ReplyDelete