Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Fritse Park Mounds

 photo from the Twin City News-Record, purported to be circa 1960
courtesy, A Brief Histiory of the Town of Menasha

 
The photo above and the accompanying article raise doubts in my mind regarding these Indian mounds.  Current references about Fritse Park state that there was a "reconstruction" effort to replicate the mound or mounds that were lost in 1863 when the railroad bridge was built, to include specific markers about this reconstruction effort.  See the link below:
 
 
However, this 1960-ish photo above states that the mounds were always there and were not destroyed. Not to mention that there were 20 to 25 of them?!  Other current literature I've reviewed does not even mention the mounds shown in this photo.  What happened?  And what is meant by "Centennial Discovery" in the photo caption? The centennial of the bridge being built in 1863? The centennial of the Village of Menasha being founded in 1856?    That article about the founding of Fritse Park doesn't mention 20 to 25 mounds either. 
 
I appeal to you, dear readers, what IS the right answer?  Do you know what the real story is here?

5 comments:

  1. Hello, David! I'm the person behind the "Wisconsin Historical Markers" website you've linked to. There's more to the story than the Fritse Park Indian Mound Reconstruction marker -- there's also this Wisconsin Historical Society marker, erected in 1955: http://wisconsinhistoricalmarkers.blogspot.com/2012/07/marker-40-butte-des-morts.html

    I am a member of the Winnebago County Historical & Archaeological Society. There has been much recent archaeological research that I am certain I cannot restate accurately, but I do know this -- the State marker has been proved inaccurate and plans are being made to take it down. I've been asked to remove the marker from my website, because of its inaccuracies, but I don't think that's appropriate. The marker was accurate to the best of everyone's knowledge in 1955. I think it's exciting that new information has been uncovered, that a new story has unfolded!

    Many people on the WCH&S Board are involved in ensuring the history of the site is accurately reported. You could follow up with the president, Julie Johnson, at juliemorganhouse@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting news, indeed. I'm always interested in maintaining the accuracy of what we've learned historically and this kind of stuff fascinates me. Thanks, Melinda for weighing in on my question.

      Delete
  2. The most detailed account I have found is PV Lawson from 1903. I think the photo and newspaper account should be discounted. The mound was mostly north of the railroad right of way, not to the south. It is hard to believe the early archaeologists "missed" 20 to 25 mounds.

    https://ia600400.us.archive.org/14/items/wisconsinarcheol02wiscuoft/wisconsinarcheol02wiscuoft.pdf

    Bill

    pdf pages 11 to 18

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (to the counsel of friendship fail.
    what's your problem)
    Oak Hill Cemetery turn down your idea for
    a frisbee golf course?
    Look at yourselves. Here, allow me -

    Now back to the show;
    I'll try "18th Century French Fur Trading"
    for $1000, Alex.
    Alex: "The ironic thing about a circle is;
    no matter how many times you try to walk away from it, you'll always be coming right back to it. So, the circle might as well be around this lake - "
    A: What is..."Petite Lake Hill of the Dead" and Hill of the Dead?

    And pertaining to you 1960's newspaper, archival, archaeologist's: With tools like that;
    imagine the dossier. You don't have too;
    it's right there.

    ReplyDelete