Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Armory Detail


One might argue that this edifice does not deserve mention in a blog about all things Menasha, but this building, just across the border in Neenah at Nicolet Boulevard was well known to residents of both towns.  Built by S. A. Cook, a former soldier, mayor, and assemblyman, in 1906 to house Company I of the Wisconsin National Guard, the building saw its demise in 1988 and has since been replaced by a warehouse. 

See the following link to learn more about Mr. Cook who led a rather remarkable life:
http://www.outagamieandbeyond.com/s-a-cook/

4 comments:

  1. My father remembers going to the Armory and watching boxing matches... much later - in the 70's it was called the 'Castle' - and was divided into several very unique shops; a ski shop, candle/incense shop, women's clothing shops, shoe store, unique jewelry, etc. - As a teenager, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I remember the Armory in the 70s/80s-- my mother would shop at Carlson's Closet and as a small child this place was simply fascinating! There was a drawbridge and moat, castle themed shops and a "round table" cafe. Back before the mall explosion we had a number of unique shops in the area. Downtown Appleton had a similar one called The Castle, but the Armory was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also I like the occasional escapes into Appleton and Neenah. While I grew up in Menasha, as a kid it all seemed one big city to me. Still does today. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother used to make stuff animals,dolls and would sell them at not sure of the stores name,my grandma was the late Sarah Chapleau.

    ReplyDelete