Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Friday, September 26, 2014

Green River Ordinance

September 18, 1963 Appleton Post-Crescent
 
As a boy, my grandparents lived out on Airport Road and on the way back home returning from visits to them, I was always greeted by the city limits sign which stated at the bottom that the Green River Ordinance was in effect.  I never knew what that meant.  Until now.  The ordinance is named for the city of Green River, Wyoming, which in 1931 was the first city to enact it.  However, I recall quite a number of door-to-door salesmen coming to my parents' door as a boy, to include vacuum cleaner salesmen and the Fuller Brush man.  I suspect the signs were intended as more of a deterrent than an enforceable law, as there had to be more pressing matters at police headquarters than chasing down peddlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment