Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Know Your Town


This charming drawing by local artist Henry J. Young was featured in a 1960 booklet produced by the League of Women Voters of Neenah-Menasha.  While not exactly accurate, it still represents the combined industrial/community nature of the town quite well. 

The booklet was titled "The Cities and Towns of Neenah and Menasha," and it is a revision of a "Know Your Town" booklet that had first been published in 1955.  It served as a nice deskside resource to give everyone a better knowledge and understanding of the Twin City area.  I remember it being in my home as I grew up and had always wished I could find another copy.  Thanks to the internet, I did! 

It is a treasure trove of information about how the two cities' governments worked and also provided nice almanac-type information regarding parks, town attractions, and the like. 

I will refer to this booklet in future blog posts to share some interesting things about our town from the vantage point of 53 years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment