Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

What IS Cable TV?

December 3, 1973 NM Daily Northwestern

I remember when cable TV came to town.  My family never subscribed while I lived there, but my best friend did and I marveled at his being able to watch "exotic" TV channels from Milwaukee and Madison, and best of all, WGN in Chicago! 

This ad doesn't reflect it, but a year or so later when HBO was offered, his folks added that to their subscription and I can remember watching commercial-free movies and comedy specials at his house with George Carlin and Robert Klein, complete with all the "mature themes" and bad words.  Gotta love that "keep on truckin'"-esque illustration, but then, it WAS the 70's! 

Hard to imagine a time when you'd need to have a Q&A ad to explain something that we so take for granted now.  And for someone's cable bill to be only $5.50 per month?  Wow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment