Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Ralph's Beer Depot


from 1945 Neenah-Menasha Telephone Directory

1940s/50s price list

October 24, 1959 Appleton Post-Crescent

I can recall going to Ralph's as a boy with my Dad, getting the old time 24-count cases of Adler Brau or Chief Oshkosh bottles in the early '60s.   I love the above ad, how 'ol Ralph just put it out there in print about his dispute with his neighbor.   Needless to say, I didn't know what zoning laws were, but even I, as a little kid thought it a bit weird to visit a guy's basement with stocks of beer and liquor for sale in a residential neighborhood!

2 comments:

  1. It was in the early to mid 60's. I would tag along with my dad on Saturdays to pick up beer and soda. We would go down into the basement filled with beer, wine and liquor. My dad would place his order and we would go outside and wait by the basement window. Out would come the cases in glass bottles pushed through the window onto the driveway. One Halloween night Ralph had barrels of candy in his garage free for the taking. For a young boy this was really "neat" as the cool people said in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you find prick neighbors where ever you live!!!!

    ReplyDelete