Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Monday, September 17, 2012

WNAM




First on the air in 1947, this 5000 watt station was the soundtrack of the '60s in my household.  My parents listened to it all the time, especially my Mom.  I remember it as middle of the road, Lawrence Welk-ish type of stuff, punctuated with Paul Harvey at noon, the local news, and somebody called Earl Nightingale, who did a daily commentary most mornings. (By the way he spoke, I always thought he was some kind of minister but later I learned he was a Dale Carnegie type of motivational speaker.)  Naturally, these were all the things a 12 year old in 1968 would have hated!  I'd much rather have been listening to WOSH in Oshkosh which played Top 40 rock and roll. 
Later known as "Blue 128," WNAM did eventually play the music I craved in the sixties.  However, by then, in the latter part of the '70s, the radio business (and I) had all moved on to FM.  Today, WNAM plays what is known as "America's Best Music," which is adult pop standards, essentially coming full circle back to what I heard growing up in the sixties.  The irony is not lost on me that I can appreciate that kind of music now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment