Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Walter Brothers Brewery

                          



Christ Walter was the owner of Walter Brothers Brewing Company, brewer of Gold Label and Gem beers.  While not as celebrated as the Busch (Budweiser), Uehlein (Schlitz), or Pabst families, in the 1950s, the extended Walter family were the largest brewers in America, operating breweries in Menasha, Eau Claire, Appleton, and West Bend, Wisconsin as well as in Pueblo and Trinidad, Colorado.  Unable to match the marketing and sales budgets of the big national breweries, the Walter breweries closed one after another  in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. The last one to survive was Walter Brewing in Eau Claire which lasted until 1989.  While Christ Walter’s brewery was the first to shutter its operations in 1956, he maintained a separate political career in Menasha, becoming the Third Ward representative in the City Council and later, president of the Board of Aldermen.

15 comments:

  1. Does anyone know in Menasha the brewery was located?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right across from Chef fresh where the water pumping station is now-actually on the corner of Manitowoc and Third St.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. this is the correct location My grandfather joe coyle lived across the street

      Delete
    2. this is the correct location My grandfather joe coyle lived across the street

      Delete
    3. this is the correct location My grandfather joe coyle lived across the street

      Delete
  3. I have 3 unopened Gem Pilsner bottles. My grandparents lived on 6th street and they were tucked away in the basement. Any idea of the value? They are in great shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take them off your hands if you'd be so kind. Christian Walter is my great grandfather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was my great-grandfather as well; John George was my grandfather; Ruth Walter my mother.

      Delete
  5. I have a whole box of bottles from I believe a family member.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be interested in Gen Beer bottles - unopened if possible - my grand father sold Gen beer from his taverns - Gordi's in Neenah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan Coyle - did you live on the corner of Hewitt street in Neenah?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, guys! I keep my eyes peeled for vintage/antique Menasha gear and came across this crate. While researching it, I found you all and thought I’d share: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153472849127

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a Christmas Glass and a Gold Lef glass and old wooden case. Apparently Christ Walter was my Great Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete