Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Menasha Wooden Ware Fire

On July 17, 1964, a  railroad employee, using an acetylene torch to repair the track on a wooden trestle next to Menasha's box plant, inadvertently set fire to the trestle. The blaze was brought under control, but when the glowing embers were struck with a stiff breeze, the fire engulfed the building, destroying it.  Two weeks after the fire, the company’s Board of Directors announced that a new 185,000 square foot corrugated box plant would be constructed in an industrial park three miles south of Neenah.   New corporate offices, to be adjacent to the new plant, were planned as well and the office staff left Menasha the next year.  In 1966, the new plant was completed.

3 comments:

  1. David, my dad worked at Menasha Wooden Ware, back in the early 50's I would walk there to visit him during the . His name was Thomas Martin. My brother Ken Martin worked there, too. I am looking forward to the release of your book.

    Sylvia Lafferty
    sylviarose74@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband worked at the wooden ware/menasha corp for over 40 yrs.I remember the fire well..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a whole 3 years old when my folks and I stood on the library steps in the pouring rain to watch it!

    ReplyDelete