Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Gather While Ye May


                                                        November 26, 1986, Neenah-Menasha Daily Northwestern

With Thanksgiving almost upon us, we look back at some of the good works our young people are capable of.  This time of year brings forth the spirit of giving, feeding the hungry and the homeless.  It's especially noticeable at Thanksgiving and Christmas time, during the colder months and the local airwaves are awash with feel good stories of such food drives and Toys for Tots-like campaigns to better people's lives.  Our local schools were not immune to the lure of this as well, as evidenced in the above photo.  Far be it from me to be cynical about these good works, for they perform a valuable public service, but sometimes I wonder about the public nature of such campaigns.  Are we doing it for the good of the deed or for the recognition of it?  With the preponderance of social media today, every move of certain people is carefully catalogued and curated to enhance their narrative and grow their "brand."  Seriously?  Whatever happened to anonymous giving?  I'm not a religious person and I'm not good at Bible verses but isn't there one about doing charity in secret because God will see it anyway?   I'm sure these kids had the best of intentions with their student council project.  I'm just commenting on what I see.  Now, I'm getting down off my soapbox.  

No comments:

Post a Comment