Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Parents' Day

September 25, 1967, Neenah-Menasha Daily Northwestern

Here at the blog, it seems we're always pointing out the changes from the past to the present, as if they weren't obvious to today's sensibilities.  And while we border on being too snarky at times, there is some truth to our message.  For instance, look at this photo.  Most all the men are wearing suits and all the women are wearing suits or dresses.  Contrasting that with today's parents' day activities, you'd be lucky to find somebody NOT wearing a Menasha Bluejays t-shirt or hoodie or some other fan-related merchandise, much less a suit or a dress. 

Yes, the past WAS a more formal time, almost to the point of ridiculousness.  Even at my young age, I still remember watching tv sitcoms in the 60's wondering why Ward Cleaver's idea of relaxing at home was taking off his suit coat and wearing a cardigan sweater with his shirt and tie while lounging with the newspaper.  All the sitcom dads did it.  Sometimes they'd wear something way over the top like a robe or smoking jacket with their shirt and tie, especially if they were entertainers like Danny Williams in Make Room for Daddy or Ricky Ricardo in I Love Lucy.  You know what I mean. 

Since my father worked at Banta's in the bindery department, I only saw him wearing a tie on church days and for school events and funerals and the like.  That was my norm.  When he came home, he didn't lounge around in a shirt and tie like the Beaver's dad.  And my Mom didn't vacuum the house in pearls and high heeled shoes either.  My family wasn't worthy of being a sitcom family, I guess, but at least I didn't have to worry about Eddie Haskell giving me the business.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, come on, David, EVERY neighborhood had its own Eddie Haskell! Some neighborhoods had two or three! I bet you can remember at least one or two. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris, discretion doesn't allow me to reveal names, lol. But you're right, I had my share. They just weren't as smooth as Eddie was with Mrs. Cleaver.

    ReplyDelete