Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Rededication

August 6, 1979, Neenah-Menasha Daily Northwestern

An 1858 article in  the local newspaper of the time talks about "Mackinnon Avenue" bisecting Doty Island from Lake Winnebago all the way to Peepeek Lake, later to be known as Little Lake Butte des Morts.  In due time, this street will be referred to as just "The Avenue," and eventually be rededicated as Nicolet Boulevard in 1906. The Women's Clubs of Menasha erected a monument that same year in Smith Park to commemorate the explorer Jean Nicolet's coming ashore near Smith Park in 1634 after travelling down the Fox River from Green Bay.  

3 comments:

  1. Can anyone tell me where the plaque is located? I'd like to get a closer look at that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could be mistaken, but I think it's at Smith Park. It's on a corner of Nicolet Blvd and I don't remember the other connected street. You have to look closely.

      Delete
    2. I found, on Google Street View, what I think is this plaque at the far east end of Nicolet Blvd, but now you've piqued my curiosity about the plaque you are describing. I've got to find some time to go in person and do some exploring. Thanks much for your response!

      Delete