Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Electronic Self-Tuner


March 22, 1958, Appleton Post-Crescent

Back when televisions were real pieces of furniture, this beauty sold at Drucks for $289.   In 1958 dollars the price would have been $2,615.25 today, according to one inflation calculator I found.  But fear not, for state of the art fine tuning was just around the corner with the remote that allowed you to not have to get up to change the channel among other things!  Such luxury my boyhood psyche could not imagine!  It would be many, many years before anything so fine crossed my childhood threshold, let alone a color set.  In the meantime, I'd have to satisfy my television hunger with simple black and white viewing of my favorite cartoons.  And making a groove in the carpeting between the easy chair and the TV set, in order to change the channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment