Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Thursday, December 2, 2021

Golden Egg Pocahontas


From the 1938 Neenah-Menasha City Directory comes this ad.  I guess I didn't know the popular types of coal, as I had no idea what this ad was talking about .  But a little more research yielded the following:  


January 8, 1938, Menasha Record

So, I guess there's more to coal than I ever knew!  A bit more searching yielded the information that there was a Pocahontas coal field in western Virginia, near its border with West Virginia  where this coal came from.  The coal was popular because of its smokeless nature...in fact, the US Navy in World War II was a big customer as its coal-driven ships valued this fuel as it didn't give off a smoke "signature" to the enemy.  What you can't all learn from such an innocent ad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment