Pages

Downtown 1958

Downtown 1958

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Readers?


After 2242 posts and 9+ years of doing this, this ol' blog master has no memory of whether or not we've featured this photo before.  Frankly, I don't even know where it came from...if it was submitted to me by a reader or if I cribbed it from some Flickr account.  Whatever the case, please enlighten me if you know its origin, and appropriate apologies will be conveyed if I have stepped over the line by boring you with a recent repeat.  Still, I like the photo, with period details of the old style light posts, lighting on the city square, the old mailbox inn the foreground, and what looks to be old highway signs (could it be for US 41?!)  Of course, the buildings on the north side of Main (The Clothes Shop sign which still exists today) and the buildings on the Scott block add to the view.  I zoomed in on the car's license plate but the view becomes so pixilated, it's impossible to ascertain a date.  Oh well.

1 comment:

  1. The highway sign would be for WI-114 as at that time it ran from Washington St. then east on Main St. then north on Racine St. then east on Third St.

    ReplyDelete